Procedures / Cosmetic / For The Body / Excess Skin Removal (After Massive Weight Loss)
Once you reach your weight loss goals, either through gastric bypass or diet and exercise, you may still find that you don't have the body shape you desire. Skin may be loose, sagging, and your body contour may appear irregular. Body contouring after major weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin and removes excess sagging fat and skin.
Following weight reduction surgery, or any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack elasticity and cannot conform to the reduced body size. As a result, skin that has been severely stretched now is unsupported:
- Specific body contouring procedures include:
- Facelift to reduce sagging of the mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Breast Lift to correct sagging, flattened breasts
- Tummy Tuck to correct the apron of excess skin hanging over your abdomen
- Lower Body Lifts to correct sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin, & thighs
- Medial Thigh Lift to correct sagging of the inner, outer, and mid thigh
- Brachioplasty to correct sagging of the upper arms
The result is a more normal appearance to the body, with smoother contours. This is, in essence, the final phase of your total weight loss experience. All body contouring procedures require incisions to remove excess skin and in some cases, these incisions may be extensive. Incision length and location depend on the amount of excess skin to be removed. In most cases, advanced techniques allow incisions to be placed in strategic locations where they can be hidden by most types of clothing.
In some cases, usually with weight loss of 100 pounds or more, health insurance may cover your procedure. If you wish to pursue coverage through your insurance company, Dr. Stroup can write a letter asking for preapproval after your consultation with him.
JOIN US ON